Earlier Velama community was primarily confined to villages and it was a problem to send their children for higher education to Hyderabad. In 1950′s and 60′s, some of the elders of the community made attempts to extend facilities to students in rented premises. These include “Anantha Vilas Mess” by Late Sri JV Narsing Rao, “Velama Vigynavardhini” by Sri Bonala Kishan Rao a Senior High Court Advocate, Sri R Madhava Rao a Lecturer and many others with the help of some affluent people belonging to Zamindari families. In Mid 70′s, a strong need was felt to establish a permanent hostel as the number of students coming to Hyderabad for higher education was increasing
Consequently A.P. Velama Association was formed on 9th May 1974 under the Chairmanship of Late Sri C Anna Rao mainly to establish hostels and promote education. The association had purchased an old building on Liberty Road, Himayathnagar, Hyderabad in 1977 and started a hostel with 40 students. This was increased to 60 students by 1983. Considering the demand for students accommodation, the old building was demolished and foundation was laid for new building on 1st May 1987 by Sri C Ananda Rao, the then Hon’ble Minister for Law and Commercial Taxes, Govt of AP.
From then the association with the donations and support from the community elders has developed several assets for the benefit of the Velama Community. These include VNR Sr Citizens home, Choultries at Srisailam, JVNR Eductional trust, J.B. Girls hostel, J.B. Kalyana Mandapam, Commercial Complex.